Ensuring proper food service management is a critical aspect of a patient’s safety and experience at healthcare facilities. CenTrak, the smarter temperature and environmental monitoring solution, enables facilities to ensure all dietary and nutritional items are kept under safe environmental conditions. CenTrak’s Smarter Sensor™ helps food management achieve proper storage safety and maintain shelf life by monitoring perishable food items and dishwasher rinse temperatures as per HACCP standards.
How CenTrak Provides Healthcare Food Service Environmental Monitoring
CenTrak is a wireless temperature and environmental monitoring system that uses a network of environmental sensors, each of which records data remotely, eliminating the need for human recording or manual collection.
The sensors themselves come in a variety of forms. Environmental sensors with and without LCD screens go where temperature monitoring is a concern, such as refrigerators and dishwashers. The sensors are simply mounted on the outside of the equipment, while a buffer bottle is placed inside. Within the buffer bottle, a probe senses the condition of the buffer bottle and relays the information to the sensor. Each sensor supports up to two separate probes, so you can monitor multiple subjects, environments, as well as door ajar sensing.
Each sensor in the compliance monitoring system collects data at configurable intervals, e.g., 5, 10 or 15 minutes depending on the environment and temperature-sensitive assets being monitored. Condition alerts can be sent in the easiest way for staff members to respond such as via email or page.
Enhancing Safety Features at Healthcare Facilities
All these features work together to provide a comprehensive system designed to help healthcare facilities make certain that meals are safe and available for patients. Other advantages of using CenTrak systems include:
- National Institute of Standards and Technology (NIST) certification
- Communication using the healthcare facility’s existing Wi-Fi infrastructure, in addition to the CenTrak‘s dedicated network
- Customizable reporting frequencies and forms
- Low sensor power consumption for longer battery life
- Collection and storage of data within sensors for a maximum of one month, even when they are out of network range
- Covering temperature range from -200 °C to 200 °C with 0.75 °C accuracy
How CenTrak Helps
Manual temperature collection by kitchen staff can be inconsistent or inaccurate. With an automatic monitoring system, kitchens avoid the dangers of human error while simultaneously benefitting from the features of digital data. These beneficial features include:
- Automation: The system collects data regarding the conditions of refrigerators, freezers, deli cases, hot boxes, walk-ins, dishwashers and galley lines at set intervals using sensors. This minimizes the incidence of delayed or inconsistent temperature records manually documented by kitchen staff.
- Accuracy: The CenTrak sensors can handle temperatures ranging from -200 °C to 200 °C, providing accuracy within 0.75 °C
- Efficiency: CenTrak environmental sensors have low power consumption, so sensor batteries don’t need to be replaced as often.
- Responsiveness: With CenTrak environmental sensors, the kitchen staff is alerted as soon as temperature and environmental conditions start to approach unsafe conditions. Staff can immediately respond by transferring food or dishes to appropriate storage areas and investigate the problem as well as discarding anything that may be spoiled.
These factors combined ensure all meals are safe for patient consumption.
CenTrak’s features enable healthcare facilities to ensure that their food service operations are compliant with:
- The Joint Commission (JCAHO)
- State Board of Health
- Hazard Analysis and Critical Control Points (HAACP)